Friday, July 31, 2009

The Handprint

As I was walking along the beach,
I gazed into the sand
A footprint here, A footprint there
And the impression of a tiny hand.

As I stared down at that handprint
It seemed to tell a tale
A little boy, or a little girl
With a shovel and a pail.

I could see it clear, two little kids
Just playing in the sand
Laughing and building sandcastles
That for years they hoped would stand.

As the tide and weather change,
So does sand my friend
But through the months of many years
Remained the impression of that tiny hand.

To me it was like a monument,
A prehistoric find
To some it's just a handprint
It's all in your state of mind.

So next time you are walking on the beach,
Gazing into the sand
And you find a set of footprints
And the print of a tiny hand.

Think back on yourself as a child
Building castles in the sand
Walk around that print, don't step on it
For that print could be your hand.

1 comment: